Laylin Delorme, Colton Steinhauer and a 13-year-old boy charged with 1st-degree murder in Edmonton Mac’s shootings
Ricky Massin Cenabre, 41, Karanpal Bhangu, 35, ID’d as victims in robberies
CBC News Posted: Dec 19, 2015 9:45 AM MT Last Updated: Dec 20, 2015 6:16 AM MT
Three people were charged Saturday with first-degree murder in the killings of two convenience store clerks in Edmonton Friday.
Laylin Delorme, 24, Colton Steinhauer, 27, and a 13-year-old boy who cannot be named are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, robbery with a prohibited restricted firearm, being disguised with intent and other offences.
- Edmonton Mac’s killings show need for better worker protection, labour leaders say
- ‘Gratuitous, evil’ armed robberies leave 2 Mac’s workers dead in Edmonton
All three have criminal records and were prohibited from possessing firearms, police said. The boy had been scheduled to appear in court Friday on unrelated charges.
Police also named the clerk killed at the 61st Avenue Mac’s Convenience store as Ricky Massin Cenabre, 41.
Earlier, police identified Karanpal Bhangu, 35, as the clerk at the Mill Woods store who came to Canada from India just three months ago with his six-year-old son in order to join his wife, who’s been living here for four years.
Alberta Federation of Labour president Gil McGowan says there should be tougher legislation to better protect vulnerable, night-shift retail workers, who are often young people and immigrants.
Alberta Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley says there will be a review of the rules.
Edmonton police Chief Rod Knecht said Friday the community should be outraged after the convenience store clerks were fatally gunned down during robberies that netted only small amounts of cash.
Knecht said the two men were working alone and didn’t fight back when masked robbers walked into their stores early Friday morning.