TORONTO: Saunders said police strongly considering the possibility that the recruitment centre attack was an act of terrorism
Police Chief Mark Saunders praises group of soldiers who took down suspect
CBC News Posted: Mar 14, 2016 6:54 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 14, 2016 10:35 PM ET
Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders says a 27-year-old man is under arrest after two members of the Canadian Forces were stabbed in north Toronto earlier on Monday.
Saunders said the unprovoked attack took place at around 3:30 p.m. at a military recruitment centre near Yonge Street and Sheppard Avenue. The Department of National Defence (DND) said the attack took place closer to 2:45 p.m.
A man walked into the recruitment centre, pulled out a knife and attacked the person behind the counter, Saunders said. The attacker attempted to move farther into the building, but was taken down by a group of between six and eight soldiers, the chief said.
One soldier was cut while apprehending the man, DND confirmed.
The two people who were injured suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were treated in hospital.
“We’re fortunate that the Canadian Forces, through their training, reacted,” Saunders told reporters, adding the injuries could have been “much more severe” had they not stopped the attack.
The chief also said the suspect uttered “certain comments” that are of concern, but declined to say what they were.
“I want a full understanding of what was said, so I’m not giving bits and pieces,” the chief said.
Saunders said police are strongly considering the possibility that the attack was an act of terrorism, but he said it’s still early in the investigation.