The latest expression of interest period of Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program on January 28 saw more than 100,000 individuals try to access the required form and only 27,000 get through.
In response to widespread criticism that the process was unfair, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) said eligible sponsors who did not manage to submit an Interest to Sponsor form on January 28 may still be able to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada on a temporary basis on what’s known as a Super Visa.
A Super Visa is a multiple-entry visa that is valid for up to 10 years and allows eligible parents and grandparents to visit their family in Canada for up to two years at a time.
The Super Visa is ideal for parents and grandparents living in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry to Canada, who will be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without having to re-apply for a TRV after six months.
The Super Visa is a popular option because it is available year round and has a lower income requirement than Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program.
IRCC says most applications for a Super Visa are processed within a few weeks, though processing times vary depending on the visa office.
In order to apply for a Super Visa, a parent or grandparent must:
- Have a signed letter from a child or grandchild who invites them to Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the duration of their visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- Have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that:
- is valid for at least one year from the date of entry
- provides at least $100,000 for minimum coverage
- have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
The recipient must also:
- be allowed to enter Canada
- take an immigration medical exam
IRCC says Super Visa applicants must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of their visit.
If you would like to know more about Canada’s Super Visa option, you may call +1-514-877-4401 or email SuperVisa@canadavisa.com
© 2019 CICNews All Rights Reserved